Getting Them to Open Your Envelops
by Glenn Spradlin
When your envelopes aren't opened, you can't make money! Before you can get an order, the recipient of your mailing package must first open the envelope. Unfortunately, many recipients of direct mail simply discard the material without opening the envelope.
Because of the high costs of printing, envelopes, and postage, your mailing package represents a sizable investment. You simply can't afford to make this investment, and then have your sales material discarded in unopened envelopes.
Twenty-One Envelope Tricks
With the following methods, you will have a substantial reduction in the number of unopened envelopes and a pleasantly profitable increase in sales.
- If you envelope looks like junk mail, it will be treated like junk mail
(in other words, thrown in the trash without being opened). The solution is
simple - don't mail your material in envelopes that look like junk mail.
- Avoid using mailing labels, because they make your envelopes look like
- Type the addresses on your envelopes.
- Neatly write or print the addresses on your envelopes.
- If you don't have time to use method three or four, then pay someone to
address the envelopes for you. Pay them for each envelope they address; do
not pay them by the hour.
- If you must use labels, then use colored labels.
- If colored labels are too expensive, you can color white labels with a
marking pen. Fluorescent marking pens are especially good for this purpose.
You can find these in office supply stores, discount variety stores,
discount pharmacies, etc.
- Use colored envelopes. ( * The Post Office will not appreciate your
colored labels and envelopes. These items create problems for their optical
- Use first class postage and print FIRST CLASS in several places on the
envelope. An inexpensive rubber stamp, with red ink, makes an
"official" looking impression.
- Do not rubber stamp the return address on your envelopes. This looks
- Avoid using labels for the return address - this also looks
- Pay a print shop to print your return address on your outgoing envelopes.
This isn't expensive, and it creates a more professional image.
- Use a colored typewriter ribbon to address envelopes.
- Use a colored pen to address envelopes. For example, I like red ink.
- Address your envelopes on the back side.
- Print or rubber stamp a short message on your envelopes. This is a very
effective with material that is mailed to persons who inquire in response to
magazine ads. For example, we advertise a Free Mailing List Dealership. When
we receive inquiries about our dealership, we rubber stamp this message on
all outgoing envelopes - "You requested this FREE Dealership".
- Commemorative stamps are more attractive than standard issue stamps, and they are the same price. Use them. That's an easy way to get your envelopes opened.
- Use marking pens to draw designs on your envelopes. even a series of
straight lines, in a variety of colors, will draw attention.
- You can buy paste-on dots, stars, smiley faces, and so forth, from an
office supply store. Place these on your envelopes.
- Instead of buying one first class stamp, buy several stamps in smaller
denominations that add up to the same price. This catches attention because
it looks more expensive.
- Large mail order companies occasionally place some type of solid object
inside their envelopes. For example, specialty advertising companies use
inexpensive pencils, pens, plastic pocket calendars, etc. You can also use
this idea. For best results, try to tie the object in to your offer.
- Tape a penny to your sales letter. Then, in the sales letter, offer to
give your prospective customer a discount - perhaps $5 or $10 - in exchange
for the penny.
- Use envelopes with windows.
- With window envelopes, the recipient's address must be inside the envelope
and placed so it shows through the window. Take advantage of this. Place the
address on some type of Cash Coupon that looks like a check.
- Use large envelopes, such as 6 1/2 by 9 1/2 inches, or even 9 by 12
inches. This is expensive, but the envelope will be opened.
- "The more you tell, the more you sell." Use a large envelope and include plenty of sales material. This is very effective with higher price offers.
A few of these methods are a little eccentric, and a few are more expensive than normal methods, but they will all help to get your envelopes opened and increase your sales.
We promised you twenty-one methods, and we have actually given you twenty six! That's because we believe in giving our customers more than their money's worth. I recommend that you try this with your own business - you'll find that it pays big dividends.
Tell others about
Comments? Questions? Email Here