How to Install Firestarter in Ubuntu Linux
Installing a firewall in Ubuntu Linux is simple. Follow these instructions:
- From the "Applications" menu, select "Add/Remove". This will bring up Ubuntu's applications manager.
- Select "All available applications" from the "Show" drop-down menu (located in the top-right corner of the applications manager.
- Type "firestarter" in to the search box (top-left) and press <enter> on your keyboard.
- Click the check box next to "Firestarter" in the top-right pane. You'll then be asked if you want to install it.
- Click the "Install" button.
- Click the "Apply" button.
- Confirm you want to apply the installation by clicking the "Apply" button.
- Authenticate. Type in the root password. Now, Firestarter will be downloaded and installed.
Configure Firestarter as a Personal Firewall
In this article, I'll show you how to configure Firestarter as you personal firewall (a firewall that protects only the machine it is installed on). However, it is possible to set up Firestarter to protect you entire LAN.
- Open Firestarter from the menu: System | Administration | Firestarter.
- The first time you start Firestarter, a Wizard will appear to aid you in configuring your firewall. Follow these steps:
- Click the "Forward" button at the Wizard's introduction screen.
- Check the box that says "Start the firewall on dial-out".
- Also, unless you've manually assigned your computer an IP address, check the box next to "IP address is assigned via DHCP".
- Click the "Forward" button.
- Click the "Forward" button again; don't check "internet connection sharing". You'll use this only when you intend to use Firestarter as your network's gateway and firewall (not covered in this article).
- Click the "Save" button. This completes the basic configuration.
- If Firestarter isn't open, open it: System | Administration | Firestarter
- Click the "Preferences" button.
- Select "Interface" from the tree in the left pane.
- Check "Enable Tray Icon".
- Check "Minimize to tray on window close".
- Select "Policy" from the tree in the left pane.
- Check "Apply policy changes immediately".
- Select "Firewall" from the tree in the left pane.
- Check all 3 boxes.
- Select "ICMP Filtering" from the tree in the left pane.
- Check "Enable ICMP Filtering" in the right pane.
- Click the "Apply" button
To start Firestarter upon Login, read this:
To allow VPN, read this:
Tell others about
About the Author
Comments? Questions? Email Here