Deacon John Davenport House: Stamford CT's Historic Homes


by Steven Penny

Built in 1775, The Deacon John Davenport House in Stamford, Connecticut is noted for its long association with the Davenport Family that was prominent in Stamford's history. Located on the hig hpoint of Davenport Ridge with stunning views of Stamford, it is a wonderfully preserved example of New England farmhouse that was home to several generations of the Davenport family. A saltbox house with Federal style features that were added at a later date, the property also includes a cottage and carriage house and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

John Davenport led a distinguished life of public service. He was born in Stamford in 1752, the son of the Hon. Abraham Davenport who was the Fairfield County Judge, and the grandson of John Davenport the Stamford Church Minister. He received a college education graduating from Yale at eighteen in 1770, tutored for a year and received his M.A. in 1773. In October of 1776, during the height of the Revolutionary War, John Davenport was elected to the Lower House of the Connecticut General Assembly at age twenty four and served the public in this capacity for the next twenty years.

In 1777 he was appointed Major of a regiment fighting for American independence. He was situated in Darien when the Rev. Moses Mather and several of his congregation were captured by the British. The pastor was finally exchanged for prisoners held by the Continental Army in which he was instrumental in obtaining.

John Davenport became a charter member of the Connecticut Order of the Cincinnati founded in 1783 to preserve the ideals and fellowship of the American Revolutionary War officers and to pressure the government to honor pledges it had made to those who fought in the war.

He was selected Deacon of the Congregational Church in Stamford in 1795 and it was said of him that he was a "Model of earnest and active piety." John Davenport was elected to the United States House of Representatives in 1799 as a Federalist Congressman and served until 1817. He declined reelection having been in public service for thirty eight years, and spent his last thirteen years attending to his estates.

General Lafayette was received at the Deacon John Davenport house in 1824 when hundreds of Stamford citizens gathered to greet the French General during his visit to America almost fifty years after the Revolutionary War.

On display in the Stamford Historical Society's exhibit are the memoirs that reads: "Friday, August 20, 1824 - The cavalcade arrived at Stamford about half past five, having received a salute at Mianus's Landing, and the private Mansion of the Honorable John Davenport was thrown open for his reception. The General remained at this house for half an hour, and received the visits of many hundreds of persons of both sexes. A salute was fired, the bells rung, and this beautiful town with its gay inhabitants, particularly distinguished for many handsome women, exhibited all the life and gaiety of a city."

Located at 129 Davenport Ridge Rd in Stamford, Connecticut the Deacon John Davenport House with its commanding view of Stamford from the ridge top makes it one of Stamford's most important historic houses listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.

About the Author

Steven Penny author of Hiring The Best People writes on the best places for your home and family in Connecticut. If you are looking for Stamford CT Homes for Sale please visit http://www.Prudentialct.com

Tell others about
this page:

facebook twitter reddit google+



Comments? Questions? Email Here

© HowtoAdvice.com

Next
Send us Feedback about HowtoAdvice.com
--
How to Advice .com
Charity
  1. Uncensored Trump
  2. Addiction Recovery
  3. Hospice Foundation
  4. Flat Earth Awareness
  5. Oil Painting Prints