Ten Ways to Prevent Obesity in Our Families
Children are our future and we as parents need to help them attain their highest potential. If we want to have a strong and healthy future.
Today's diet is high in the simple carbohydrates, sugar and fat. Soft drinks, cakes, candy, and junk food are constantly bombarding our families, it seems to be their daily diet.
Statistics show that heart disease is showing up at a younger age. Diabetes is reaching epidemic proportions, asthma is becoming a common occurrence. People are beginning to look at these as normal. Well it is far from normal!
A major contributing factor in these diseases is obesity. So what is a parent to do: the first thing we must to is to educate ourselves.
Here are 10 ways to Prevent Obesity
- Be an example Children learn from their parents, the first thing you as a parent must do is to show your children that you are willing to change.
- Do a Kitchen Clean-up Get rid of all foods that have refined flour, or sugar in them and replace with whole foods such as whole grains, whole sugars for example raw sugar, honey, or stevia, and foods with as little chemical additives as possible
- Replace soft drinks, and highly sugared snacks, with healthy alternatives. Be creative. Limit sugar intake to 10% of your daily diet.
- Limit your dietary fat intake to less than 30% of your total calories, saturated fat should be less than 10%. Avoid all trans fatty acids, such as hydrogenated fats.
- Exercise, exercise. It doesn't matter what you do. Be it team sports, walking, running, hiking, or tennis. Just get your body moving.
- Consume at least five daily servings of fresh raw fruits and vegetables, especially dark orange or green vegetables and citrus fruits. Six servings of wholegrains and a least 3-4 calcium-rich foods, and make sure you get plenty of dietary fibre.
- Try to have 6 small nutrient-dense meals a day, rather than 3 large meals. Do not eat after 8pm. Avoid repeated unsuccessful attempts at weight loss (crash dieting).
- Include a food supplement, high in vitamins and minerals.
- Consume at least 2000 calories of high-nutrient foods Select low-nutrient foods periodically, maybe once a week, as a sinday. But your daily diet should consist of high quality foods.
- Drink at least 6 8oz. glasses of pure, filtered water a day. Water is the best cleanser.
If you follow this advice, you will not only be preventing obesity but will also: improve resistance to colds and infection. reduce risk of developing heart disease, cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure and osteoporosis, increased resistance to stress maintain a feeling of wellbeing, help prevent premature aging increase energy to enjoy life and improve emotional and mental health.
Tell others about
About the Author
Comments? Questions? Email Here