The 25 Deadly Sins For Your Internet Marketing Website
by Detlev Reimer
Content Is KING !
If you create a website, be sure to have valuable content you can offer. Try to find facts which cannot be found anywhere else on the Internet. It can be a lot of hard work, but if you can deliver unique content, you will certainly have visitors which will appreciate this.
Especially, having dozens of banners at your homepage should be avoided. This is like to say to someone on the street : "Give me all your money". Your visitor has not intended to come to your website to make you money but to find valuable content he can profit from.
Be Decent With Your Ads
Of course, this should not refrain you from making money with your website, but it has to be more decent than blinking banners everywhere on your page. One banner, a sponsor, should be enough for one page.
Once you have finished your pages and uploaded them to your webspace, be sure to check everything online as well. Often, the links work on your local computer but if you want to access it on the net, pages cannot be found, graphics are not loaded, links lead to nowhere-land, forms do not work correctly etc. ... etc.
Check Every Link Online
Most of the times this is due to the fact that links are automatically set to your local directories and not to your URL. So make sure, you test every link online as well, especially the spelling of your link names. This is a very common source for faults and testing is something I would really recommend.
Test The Functionality Of Your Forms
If you have forms on your web site, test the functionality with your own contact information and e-mail address first. Nothing is more annoying to your visitors than if they want to contact you through the form you deliver and then nothing happens or they get an error message. This doesn't have to be that way.
25 Deadly Sins For Your Internet Marketing Website
- Your page has so many advertisements on it that your
content is hidden
- Background sound is played in a loop and cannot be
switched off and takes ages to load...
- Your visitors get confused by too many links on your home-
- Incoming e-mails are answered after more than 3 days
- Links cannot be recognized as being links
- Letting the visitor guess what comes next if they click on
a link (Text like: ...more or ...next page)
- Hiding your links within the text so that they only can be
found by placing the mouse over it (it becomes a hand...)
- Using more than 6 different colors for your basic design
- Visitors have to guess which submenu they are in
- Many spelling errors in your body copy
- Nothing for FREE on your site
- Forced registration on your first page or no content
- Your page takes 2 or 3 minutes to load ... most people will
- Using wrong fonts (use fonts which are installed on YOUR
- Showing the same picture but name them differently. By
doing this, it cannot be taken from your browser cache to
speed up the loading time of your page
- No cross-browser test; your site looks excellent on the
Internet Explorer but...
- Scaling your graphics only by width and height attributes
of your HTML-code instead of making your graphics
- Headlines as gifs instead of text; search engines will ignore
them and your loading time will increase
- Using dozens of blinking elements and marquee-fonts on
- No unique content, just rehashed material from other web-
- "Ugly" pages; colors which don't fit together, backgrounds
which make your text very hard to read
- Pages which have no "exit", no links which lead you back
to your starting page
- Choosing a hard to remember name for your website, you
want to be found, don't you ?
- Wrong prices for your articles
- Choosing slow ISP's
+ Forgetting to have fun! Don't take everything too serious ;-)
About the Author
|Article has just finished creating his first product, a database program for Internet marketers which will help you to save and organize e.g. your advertising, customer and contact data. For further details, please visit : http://www.promobuddy.com/ . Sign up for his newsletter at http://www.internetmarketing-success.com/ .|
Tell others about
Comments? Questions? Email Here